New York State Science Olympiad, Inc.
Founded in 1985 and incorporated in 1993, New York State Science Olympiad, Inc. ("NYSSO") is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which seeks to engage and challenge students in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics ("STEM") through various levels of team-based, collaborative, and competitive tournaments throughout New York State.
In order to advance and develop STEM education, the primary mission of NYSSO is to:
- Increase the interest and success in STEM education of Middle School and High School students;
- Improve community perception of STEM education;
- Recognize both talented students and dedicated educators in STEM education through teamwork,
cooperation, and respectful competition;
- Conduct tournaments and other related events so as to improve the quality of STEM education;
- Organize NYSSO Regional and State Tournaments throughout New York State;
- Provide encouragement, information, and support to potential participants and educators;
- Encourage, develop, and maintain relationships between students, STEM educators, and STEM related industries;
- Cooperate and coordinate with Science Olympiad, Inc.;
- Provide financial support through fundraising efforts for the foregoing purposes; and
- Coordinate with persons, agencies, organizations, etc. to promote and build support for NYSSO.